Guru Lukshmi

Guru Lukshmi
2555 Erin Centre Blvd. #3
Mississauga, ON
●●●●●●●●●○
9 out of 10

Best South Indian I've ever had.

My brother and I drove to Mississauga (from Toronto, not Montreal) to a little a strip mall by Erin Mills to experience this restaurant. Maybe Brampton has better (I have no idea) but Little India on Gerrard does not. Udupi Palace, for example, is good, but this place is better. It tastes fresher, there are more options (not always a good thing, but in this case it was), you can customize according to taste, and there are items I haven't seen anywhere else.

Most places, "South Indian" is synonymous with dosa - the thin crepe-like wrap made of slightly fermented lentils. That's all well and good, but with Indian food it's never about one thing. Dosa is also about the rasam, the coconut chutney, the coriander chutney, the sambar, and for me, the idli. You come to Guru Lukshmi for all these things, and the first thing on the list is not the dosas themselves, as wonderful as those are here.

Best things about this restaurant, in order:
1. The coconut chutney. Unbelievably fresh and sweet. Not metallic and dry. SO good for you and you just want to eat it with a spoon.
2. The rasam.
Sweet and sour tomato-tamarind soup. I've had lots of rasam before but never has the tamarind stood out like this. It was a little mouth-puckering instead of just oily tomato soup.

3. The dosa itself. Choose from paper-thin dosa, steamed thicker dosa, no oil, a little oil, regular amount of oil, your chili heat preference, and of course, two menu pages worth of fillings. Everything is there from the classic masala dosa stuffed with masala-spiced potatoes (masala is just a spice blend that depends on the chef. It really just means "spice blend") to all kinds of chilies or even chocolate...hmm...I wonder if they could put those together for me? Anyway, in mine I could taste the fenugreek and fennel seed. Oh, and the cumin. Whole cumin seed. If you've never seen one of these dosas before, here's another picture:
They can be rolled up into a burrito-like wrap or just folded over like a very large omelet (top of post). Here it didn't really matter because everyone was eating traditionally - with the right hand only. The left is used to wash yourself (well, traditionally. Probably not in Canada. Hygiene is a little different here). But try eating this messy thing with just one hand! You kind of need to break off pieces. Mine was helpfully sliced into four wraps, making it easy to lift one quarter at a time, but I don't think this was quite what is normally done. The folded over ones (from what I saw) need to be opened and the fillings swept to the side. Then you break off pieces of the crispy parts of the dosa and use them as utensils to pick up pieces of the fillings. This works fine when it's a potato, or a soft mash of some kind, but when it's pieces of things it gets tricky. Makes sense that so many dishes are soft mashes in Indian cooking since they've got to pick them up somehow. Still, no matter what you do, it gets messy. I marveled at how it seemed easy to everyone else in the restaurant (we were the only Caucasians. A good sign except I feel like I'm intruding without an invitation). It's probably like chopsticks where it just takes a little practice. Maybe it's also not great for me since I'm left-handed and I kept trying to reach with my left hand, only to stop myself. There is a sink in the open area of the restaurant to wash your hands even. That way you don't create a line to get into the bathroom just to maintain hand hygeine. Very smart.

I had the vegetable spring dosa with chettinad ($9) that you couldn't really get without oil even though it's supposed to be lower-fat. What they really mean is the insides have more vegetables and less oil, but it's still pretty sticky. The chettinad was a blend of red chilies, herbs and spices combined with crisp cabbage (I think) and some other crunchy vegetables that I had a hard time of stopping myself to loo9k at. I didn't find too hot at all, but I eat hot sauce by the spoonful. Every time I go for Indian I have to be very insistent that I actually want it spicy. I love the flavourful burn, and here the heat didn't overpower anything for me. Hurray!

So there are some limitations to the dosa selection, but there are two entire pages of options. Everything from onion to coriander, cumin, vegetable curry-stuffed, cheese, ghee (clarified butter), tomato, greens in gravy (I imagine like saag? Though they have another saag dosa with feta), chana dal (like chickpeas) and all kinds of different chili peppers ground or fried and stuffed in the various dosa shells. Two exceptional things you can get are chocolate dosas (with nutella - I think rarely found in Indian restaurants...but a brilliant innovation. If crepes can do it, so can dosa. Maybe that should be their motto. Just no ham and cheese, please. Gross).

4. The idli.
These are just fermented rice and lentil flying saucers that are steamed. I never think they're anything special, which is why I keep ordering them wherever I go. I want to find a place where they have a flavour and I can figure out why they're on South Indian menus in the first place. Indian food is all about spice (not necessarily heat) and more importantly, about flavour, so these things are generally horribly bland by comparison. Here they're a little more interesting, but I think it's because of the accompanying sides. You dip these guys in the sambhar or the aforementioned heavenly coconut chutney. The sambhar is kind of a soup whose contents vary from restaurant to restaurant, cook to cook, like spice blends. Usually it's tomato-based and is garnished with coriander. It was okay, but the interesting thing on this plate that I'd never seen before was the idli powder (top right corner of photo). The powder was like a concentrated form of the idli ithemselves. There was a real, slightly nutty flavour. Very savoury and like fine pebbles to be crunched. You eat them and you think "Oh! THAT'S what idli are supposed to taste like." But when they get steamed they lose some of that quality and the chutneys come to the rescue. I think of idli as Indian pasta. In the world of pasta there's really good kinds that have real flavour from the egg and durum semolina or high quality flour, and then there are generic boxed pastas from the supermarket that gets eaten by the pound. It's like inhaling air, but it's still beloved by so many people. It's a staple. Other people might try it for the first time and wonder why we'd put something so tasteless in our mouths. I'm sure hordes of foreign exchange students go through that when they come to Canada and buy the cheapest thing in the grocery store - pasta. Normally this flavourless confusion is me with idli, but not here. Here I get it a little.

Something else I'd never seen before was a page of options for the jain and swaninarayan communites. I didn't even know there was one or what that was. All those options are without garlic and onion. They're two religious communities that obviously are large enough to be catered to at a great restaurant. This would also be great for anyone with onion or garlic allergies or intolerances.

I wish I could have tried the South Indian desserts. They're hard to find, but as it stood my stomach was full (and happy). So another time perhaps I'll try the payasam. Though, maybe not, since it's like rice pudding (made with milk) and would knock me on my lactose-intolerant bum for awhile. That bum would like to stay un-sat on more often.

2 comments:

Janaki said...

If you want to figure out what real idlis taste like you should visit Meena's Fine Foods in Scarborough. It's solely a takeout place, but I have never had better idli, chutney, sambar anywhere else.
The idlis are so soft and fluffy!

Anonymous said...

Hi Janaki,
i have been to this authentic restaurant many times it is fantastic but it is unfair to compare it with a small takeout place this is a full fledged dine in restaurant employing so many ppl and with such a huge menu so the the overhead expenses are huge the take out must be in a house with just one or 2 cooks so they have all the time to concentrate in one item where these guys have to concentrate on such a big menu manage such a big crowd still manage to keep upthe same quality since 2003
Stanely Family
stanely6001@gmail.com